All I’m going to say right now is I think this is a terrible choice that will come back to haunt J.J. Abrams and the Star Trek Franchise.
Article originates from Variety.com
MAY 13, 2014 | 06:06PM PT
After weeks of rumblings that Roberto Orci was the front runner, sources have told Variety that Skydance and Paramount have indeed tapped Orci to direct Paramount and Skydance’s “Star Trek 3.”
Orci is currently writing the story with J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay and had been campaigning to replace J.J. Abrams as director for some time. Abrams is busy with directing the next installment of the “Star Wars” franchise and will only be producing this pic.
Par, Skydance and his reps had no comment.
Plot details are unknown, but cast members including Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto are expected to return. Abrams will produce along with his producing partner Bryan Burke and Skydance’s David Ellison.
The news comes after Orci and longtime writing partner Alex Kurtzman decided to go their separate ways on future film making endeavors (although their TV production company is staying intact). Sources had told Variety that both were looking to direct more pics and that going solo would be in the best interest of both parties.